City of Ottawa Playground & Recreation Board met September 13.
City of Ottawa Playground & Recreation Board met Sept. 13.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
Recreation Board Members Present: John Levy, Maribeth Manigold, Austin Monroe, Phil
McNally, Brian Porter, (Mark Astle, Director of Recreation, Tracy Bianchi, Riordan Pool Manager).
Others attending the meeting: Commissioner Less
Recreation Board Members Absent: Danielle Pagano, Mindy McConnaughhay, Randy Bretag
1. Phil moved to approve minutes as amended to change Masinelli to Whitney, John second. Motion passed.
2. Maribeth moved to accept August Recreation Financial Report. Austin second. Roll Call: All AYES. Motion passed.
3. Austin moved to accept the August Pool financial report. Phil second. Roll Call: All AYES. Motion passed.
4. Pool: Tracy reported the following:
a. Reported on total summer attendance of 9125 patrons
b. Reported on total summer concession expenses and profits.
c. Reported on total summer passes and rentals.
d. Reported on total summer expenses
e. Reported on National Night Out.
f. Tracy suggested the following maintenance be completed before summer 2019: sandblasting and painting the pool, continued upgrading of plumbing.
g. Tracy said she would solicit bids for pool painting and plumbing repairs and forward bids to the Rec Board.
h. The board thanked Tracy for her efforts over the course of the summer.
5. Commissioner’s report:
a. Reported on progress of OSLAD grant proposal to improve Dayton Bluffs preserve.
b. Informed the board of a brush clearing clean-up day September 15 at Dayton Bluffs.
c. Reported on the success of NUCOR volunteers working on Thornton Park improvement on August 25.
d. Informed the board that bike lane striping will cost between $3500 and $4000.
6. President’s Report
a. Reported that Mindy had been appointed to the Rec Board.
b. Asked John to assume the duties of Pool Committee Chair.
7. Director’s Report:
a. Adult Softball –
1. Mark reported on the conclusion of the summer adult softball tournament.
2. Mark informed the board about the number of Fall Softball and Kickball teams.
3. Mark reported that he had arranged with Roxanne’s Sweet Shop to sell concession at Fall Adult Softball games. The rental price agreed to is $7 per night. The agreement applies only to the fall season.
8. Old Business –
a. The board discussed outstanding and committed money.
b. Phil reported that the bench was installed and plaque for Steve would be installed.
9. Long Range Planning and Board Goals –
a. Construction in Progress -- None
b. Park Inspections – Kevin asked board members to return park inspections sheets and to take on a second park.
c. Long Range Plans (Kevin and Maribeth) – The board discussed preliminary Allen Park long range plans.
d. Bike Paths – see Commissioner’s report.
e. New Subdivisions and city acquisitions –None.
10. Committee Reports: Kevin assigned board members to committees.
a. By-laws (Danielle) – None
b. Financial (Austin) – None
c. Parks (Brian) – None
d. Programs – (Phil and John)
i. Phil reported that bids were being taken to erect the new North Side Little Shelter.
ii. Phil reported that he is soliciting prices for a shelter at Hollywood Park
iii. Phil suggested that drinking fountain at Pony League be relocated to a new, more useful spot.
iv. Phil discussed water concerns occurring Varland Park.
e. Pool – Phil announced Ameren had repaired the service wires to the pool. It was also announced that the ladder to the service pit in the deep end had been installed.
11. New Business – Kevin distributed Mark’s evaluation form to the board. He ask that they complete it and return it at the October meeting.