Peru Elementary School District 124 Board of Education Building & Grounds Committee met April 2.
Here is the minutes as provided by the committee:
Present: Simon Kampwerth, Rob Ankiewicz, and Patti Leynaud
Others Present: Mark Cross
The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Simon Kampwerth at 8:00 a.m.
• Mr. Cross provided the committee with a draft of a Building and Grounds Maintenance Plan for 2019 for both Northview and Parkside Schools, which included photographs, descriptions and very rough cost estimates of each item.
• Items discussed and under consideration for Northview include a Bollard Barrier at the East Entrance Area, Possible Installation of a Classroom Door Barrier System, Installation of Remaining Door/Entrance Security Film, Possible Changes with Security Cameras and Accessibility, Installation of Swing Mats and Basketball Hoops in the Playground Areas, Restoration or Elimination of Playground Grass, and Implementation of a Boiler Treatment Plan Agreement.
• Board members agreed with recommending the items presented for Northview, and much of the discussion focused on the possible change with the video cameras to upgrade to what was installed over the past year at Parkside School. Mr. Cross reviewed the cost of simply accessing the existing cameras, a feature that has little cost on the new Parkside system. After some discussion regarding accessibility and cost effectiveness, it was determined to have Mr. Cross move forward with the research on installing the same cameras in phases at Northview, starting at the three main entrance and exits. Mr. Cross will meet with the district technology staff to make recommendations to the Board at a later time.
• Items discussed and under consideration for Parkside include the Possible Installation of a Classroom Door Barrier System, Installation of Remaining Door/Entrance Security Film, Installation of Additional Defibrillator and Signage, Replacement of Gymnasium Screen and Projector, Replacement of Classroom Markerboards (Depending on New Projector Installation), Installation of a Flatscreen Television for Visual Displays in the Cafeteria, Annual Gym Floor Maintenance, Implementation of a Boiler Treatment Plan Agreement, as well as the upcoming Ten Year Health/Life Safety Inspection.
• Much discussion focused on the classroom door barrier systems for both schools, how the systems work and if they will meet fire code requirements. This is still being investigated. The committee went to the gym to review the needs for the updated projector and screen. It is possible that a grant from the Peru Education Foundation could be secured to help offset some of this cost.
• It was agreed to have Mr. Cross begin the work of pursuing costs for the work items as presented and update the Board at a later date. The recommendations will also be shared with the Board at the regular April meeting as presented.
The committee adjourned at 9:22 a.m.