Sandwich Committee of the Whole schedules hydrant flushing
The city of Sandwich Committee of the Whole met Oct. 17 to schedule hydrant flushing.
Here are the meeitng's minutes, as provided by the committee:
Mayor Olson called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM
Roll call was taken:
Present: Mayor Olson, City Clerk Ii, Aldermen Dell, Fraser, Killey
McMahon, Moran, Redden, Robinson & Scheidecker
Also present: Attorney Buick, Chief Bianchi, EMA Director Ciciora & Department of Public Works / City Engineer Horak,
Absent: City Treasurer Webber
Review of October 15th Public Meeting: A public meeting was held to inform citizens on the proposed 1% sales tax increase that will be asked on the November election ballot. Approximately ten (1) residents were in attendance as well as Aldermen Dell, Fraser, Killey, McMahon & Redden. The next informative meeting will be held at FVOA on Thursday, October 27th at 7:00PM.
Employee Health Insurance Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 18th, at 2:00 PM. Employees and spouses are invited to the meeting that will discuss health insurance alternatives for the City to consider. The renewal premium for the current Blue Cross / Blue Shield policy has increased by approximately $150,000 annually. Alderwoman Killey stressed that a decision must be made prior to open enrollment that is effective November 1, 2016, if the City will continue to offer the current BCBS policy or a less expensive policy with higher deductible and co-pay. Council agreed to hold a special meeting on Saturday, October 22nd, at 8:00 AM in the City Hall Annex to discuss alternative insurance packages.
Employee Supplemental Insurance Fair will be held on Wednesday, October 19th at 1:00 PM. Local insurance companies will be present explaining their supplemental pre-tax insurance programs, such as disability and life insurance policies. Insurance premiums would be paid by the employee, and are at no cost to the City.
Foster, Buick, Conklin & Lundgren: No report
City Clerk: No report
City of Sandwich, Illinois City Hall Annex •128 East Railroad Street
City Treasurer: Absent
Director of Public Works / City Engineer Horak:
Brush Pickup: Final brush pickup for the 2016 is complete for Ward 3.
Hydrant Flushing will be conducted on Thursday, October 27th and Friday, October 28th.
Leaf Vacuuming will begin on Monday, October 24th in Ward 1.
Updates: The Duvick Avenue water tower is being filled for the chlorination of the tank. Also, DeKalb County has requested that the City include a statement in our electronic flyers adding language that there will be a charge of $5.00 - $15.00 for items that contain freon.
Questions Addressed to Engineer Horak by Council:
(1) Alderman Fraser questioned the status of Mr. Kirch pertaining to property located at 51 E. Church Street. City Attorney advised that a letter was issued to Mr. Kirch’s attorney, and the matter at this point, is correspondence between both attorneys. Attorney Buick said at this stage in the correspondence, there is nothing to report to the Council.
(2) Alderman Fraser questioned the status of Larry and Gene Frieders pertaining to the variance request on their car wash. Application packets for a variance request before the ZBA (Zoning Board of Appeals) has been distributed to the Council. Applicants are requesting a change in setback line from 10 feet to 8 feet to allow for a larger auto wash bay on the west side. The public hearing is scheduled for October 25th.
Questioning about a culvert on Gletty Road, Engineer Horak said he is waiting for paperwork from Jerry Davis, Sandwich Township Highway Commissioner.
(3) Alderman Redden asked if Engineer Horak has heard from the asphalt company. Engineer Horak said he has received no correspondence and that the asphalt plants will be shutting down at the end of the month.
(4) Aldermen Dell asked Engineer Horak if he would explore and maybe request to have a dead end warning sign erected at Edgebrook and Fairside Drives.
(5) Alderman Scheidecker asked about a recent occurrence between the Antique Mall and Freedom Hall building. Engineer Horak explained that Prindi’s Antiques was putting a sealant on their roof. Before the sealant dried, it rained and the sealant was washed down the gutter onto the street. The City contacted IEPA (Illinois Environmental Protection Agency) and the IEMA (Illinois Emergency Management Agency). Street crews used sawdust to absorb the sealant, and has it stored for delivery and pick up by the responsible party. The responsible party will be billed.
Chief Bianchi: Community Director Mike Nelson belongs to the DeKalb County TRIAD. He will be conducting an event on Saturday, October 22nd, at IVVC on Lions Road, for seniors’ car care safety check.
EMA Director Ciciora reported that he is will working with ComEd on the electrical issues pertaining to the installation of the new sirens. A time schedule is still unknown at this point.
Alderman Dell: No report
Alderman Fraser: No report
Alderwoman Killey advised that the finance committee will meet immediately following this evening’s Committee-of-the-Whole meeting.
Alderman McMahon: No report
Alderman Moran: No report
Alderman Redden: No report
Alderman Robinson: No report
Alderman Scheidecker: No report
New Business: None
Ed Kirch, manager of property located at 51 E. Church Street, addressed the Council with his dissatisfaction of cooperation and communication with the City. Citing what he views as harassment, Mr. Kirch said he has received ‘stop work notices’ for the repainting of the building, and yet he cannot find an ordinance that stops him from repainting his property. He further said he was told that the IEPA was behind the stop-work orders, and his phone inquiries to the IEPA resulted in them not aware of the problem. There is question of lead and asbestos that Mr. Kirch explained by repainting would resolve the concerns.
There being no further business to come before the Council, motion made by Alderman Robinson and seconded by Alderman Redden to adjourn the Committee-of-the-Whole Council meeting at 7:30 PM. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
/s/ Denise Ii – City Clerk